The Baby is Almost Here, Are You Ready?
Checklists are everywhere - there's a checklist for buying a home, planning a wedding, and starting a new job—all important life events. But what about preparing for a new baby? Here are two checklists for expectant parents, so you can start getting organized now—while you can still move around comfortably.
Proper equipment (purchased now, rather than later) can help you succeed and have fun.
- Car Seat - needed to take the baby safely (and legally) home
- Receiving blanket
- Bassinet and/or crib
- Diapers - estimate 10 a day!
- Changing table (or designated area to change baby)
- Newborn clothes: one-pieces, T-shirts, footsies, PJ's, hat and socks
- Diaper Bag (see list below for what goes inside)
- Burping cloths
- Breast pump
- Rocking chair (or comfortable place to feed your baby)
- Infant bathing tub
- Playpen or play mat
Baby's need lots of stuff - all the time. So prepare an extra diaper bag - or two. Leave one in your car and give one to dad. That way you will have the necessities if your car breaks down or you were out longer than expected.
The perfect diaper bag should include the following:
- 5 diapers
- Small bags to dispose of dirty diapers
- Baby wipes
- Changing pad
- Burping cloth
- Pacifier (if your baby uses one)
- Change of clothing for baby
- Clean shirt for mom
- Infant Tylenol (fever reducer)
- List of important info: pediatrician's phone number, recent weight of baby, allergies if any, and immunization records.
Life with a newborn is full of surprises. And hopefully these checklists will help you to enjoy those surprises rather than stress over them. Hold on tight and get set for the ride of your life!