|Having a picky eater can be tough, but there are a variety of tips and techniques parents can use to help their toddlers become a little more adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. Check out the ideas and information included here to make your life easier, and
your toddler's life healthier.
If you are concerned that your child’s picky eating has lasted for a long time or is very restrictive, speak with your child’s pediatrician.
• Types of Picky Eaters
• Tips for Coping with Picky Eaters
• Tips to Get your Picky Eater to Try New Foods
Try these tips from MyPyramid.gov for coping with your picky eater.
Print or email a PDF to post to your fridge and share with your friends and family.
If you don’t make it a big deal, it will usually end before school age. You can do many positive things to deal with picky eating and help your child learn to try new foods. If you have tips that help your child try new foods, please share them with us.
- Let your kids be “produce pickers.” Let them help pick out fruits and veggies at the store.
- Kids like to try foods they help make. It’s a great idea for helping your picky eater try fruits and vegetables. Children also learn about fruits and vegetables when they help make them. And all of that mixing, mashing and measuring makes them want to taste what they are making.
- Try to make meals a stress-free time. Talk about fun and happy things. If meals are times for family arguments, your preschooler may learn unhealthy attitudes toward food.
- Offer choices. Rather than ask "Do you want broccoli for dinner?" ask “Which would you like for dinner: broccoli or cauliflower?”
- Offer a variety of foods and let your child choose how much of these foods to eat.
- Offer the same foods for the whole family. Don’t be a “short-order cook,” making a different meal for your preschooler.
- Make food fun! Get creative in the kitchen. Check out Healthy and Fun Recipes!
Keep your toddler engaged and entertained at mealtime with Evenflo’s Smart Steps toddler feeding products. Take a look at our collection of Smart Steps cups, eating utensils, plates and more.