Guidelines For Your Breast Milk
Storing Your Breast milk
- After sealing your bottle tightly with the sealing disc and cap ring, label the bottle with the date and time the milk was expressed.
- Store according to the table below.
Note: In hot weather, chill milk immediately to prevent spoilage.
Breast Milk Storage Guidelines*
Using Your Breast Milk
- To thaw your breast milk, place the bottle in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Just before feeding, hold the sealed bottle under warm running water until the milk is room temperature.
- The milk fat may separate during thawing. If so, gently invert the bottle several times to blend the milk.
- Push an Evenflo® nipple through the cap ring and screw onto the bottle.
- Always test the temperature of the milk before feeding.
- DO NOT heat breast milk in the microwave. Microwaving can destroy nutrients in
- breast milk and can heat liquids unevenly resulting in burns or scalds.
- DO NOT re-freeze breast milk.
- DO NOT pour freshly pumped breast milk onto frozen breast milk because
- thawing can occur. Instead, chill freshly expressed milk before adding to already frozen milk. This avoids thawing the top layer of milk.
- Fill containers 3/4 full as milk expands with freezing.
* Human Milk Banking Association of North America. Best practice for expressing, storing and handling human milk in hospitals, homes and child care settings. Raleigh, NC: 2005